Tuesday, July 14, 2015

3 unavoidable things that happen in Arkansas summers

It's Arkansas. It's summer.

That combination usually doesn't mean anything even close to comfortable, and this year isn't an exception. The crazy heat didn't start until later this summer, so that was nice, but now it's hitting with all its force. And if you've never experienced a southern, humid summer, come on down and suffer with us!

I honestly don't know how people survived before air conditioning. I really don't. Every time you open a door to the outside world the heat just meets you all at once, from your head to your ankles. Immediately the sun starts to melt you, and it really feels that way because within minutes your face is dripping and you can feel the delicate epidermis start to crisp up. It's like subjecting yourself to the open oven but not using common sense and backing off. I've lived in Arkansas my entire life, and there a few things that happen every summer in Arkansas that are just unavoidable.

1. Yard work=impossible

Unless you do it superearly or superlate. Even if you do that it's still hot and uncomfortable. Yesterday, I had to move about 800+ pounds of mulch and rocks from the front yard to the back so the lawn could be mowed. I was told this around 1:00, and it needed to be done by 3:00. With the cruddy, rocky wheelbarrow I could haul maybe two loads of rocks or a load or two of mulch before I felt close to collapsing and had to rush inside to press my burning body onto the cold tile. Seriously, I was working in like, four minute spurts. There was a heat warning yesterday, but it had to be done. I finished it, but it literally took almost two hours because I had to take constant long breaks to keep from overheating.
That's not water. 

Then the guy that mows our lawn didn't show up until 8:00 p.m. I felt pretty stupid then.

2. Clothing is scarce

I don't mean it's hard to find. There's just very little of it because you'd die wearing something modest. Or at least want to die. Forget those long pants and cute jackets and stylish light scarves and say hello to bathing suits, ponytail holders, shorts, and crop tops. I work in an office setting right now, which means shorts aren't really on the menu. But I don't have to spend more than two minutes outside at a time while wearing it. If someone does venture outside (or God forbid spend the whole day outside), it's the time for crazy short shorts. And usually you'd feel self-conscious, but it's so hot you really do not care how bad your stretch marks look. Or is that just me?

See? People stop caring because it's too damn hot.

When I have to go somewhere I pick what's cool, not what looks good. If I cared how I looked in the summer I would pass out after a few minutes in the sunlight. So whip out the short shorts and tank tops and bathing suits. It's too hot for modesty

3. Leaving anyone or anything in car pretty much ruins it

So the other day I was with my dad in his car, and we needed to fill up the tank. In the backseat, my two year old brother sat, adorable as could be. That sweet, sweet AC is cranked and we pull into the gas station, and the car turns off. Now it's about six o'clock at night right about now. Dad get outs and fills up the car, leaving me and the brother trapped inside the preheating oven that is a black-interior car.

Immediately the heat is back, no longer kept at bay by the cool air of the fans. And it's back with a vengeance. I'm pretty sure we baked in that car for those six minutes. Sweat was dripping down my cheeks. My cheeks. I felt like a was half liquid when the car finally started again and the AC came back on, fighting off the heat.

I used to have this old classic black iPod with 30GB. I had tons of music on it and one day I made a mistake. I left it in my car. For a day. The next day I get back in the car and there are cracks on the iPod, like the sun dried it out and made it shrink back in pain. It wouldn't turn on and it just died of heat stroke. I've also got some nice water bottles warped by the heat that are now unusable since they were left in the oven that is my car. So while you get out the kids, grab your valuables. They won't be if you leave them in a car that stays outside. Trust me. :( 

Stay cool. Don't go outside, ever. That's my advice for making it comfortably through an Arkansas summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment